Need Help? Search our Career Center.

Follow

The Best Ways To Write A Resume That Gets Results

Writing a resume can be a tedious process and sometimes it’s unclear what information to include and what to leave out. How do you describe everything you achieved in the military in just a few bullet points? To offer some direction, we’ve asked five hiring managers with Hirepurpose companies what key information are they looking for in a job seeker’s resume. Here’s what they said.

“Tailor your resume to showcase yourself as a great match for the company’s needs. Use a personalized skills summary that stands out and engages hiring principals to want to learn more about you. Focus on experiences and key accomplishments that directly reflect your background to the position requirements to further stand out from generic resumes often submitted by many job seekers.” –Abie Chong | Military and Veteran Recruiter | Hilton Worldwide

“I like to see most recent employment at the top of the resume if my candidate is a seasoned professional, working down the resume from present to past. If I am recruiting for an entry-level position or a more skilled position, it is important for me to see what education, technical college, professional affiliation he or she brings to the position. I am always impressed with someone who can represent in writing two or three significant contributions made while in a particular position, not so much what the position did, but what the individual did that mattered to the team or organization. Showcase transferable skills, like ‘teamwork, executing well under pressure, effective team building and collaboration or problem solving.’” –Jacquie West, Corporate Recruiter | C.R. England

“I am always looking for action words, or data to quantify the amount of responsibility held in the military. I also like to see problem-solving examples and mission-completion examples. Finally, use your resume to demonstrate your ability to learn new things and be successful.” –Kris Urbauer, Project Manager, Military Initiatives | GE

“When we review resumes, we like to see several items. Starting from the top, we want to be able to easily find the applicant’s contact information. Then, we prefer to see an objective statement that clearly states the type of positions the individual is seeking. Next, we’d like to see a few bullet points about the applicant’s skills and strengths. The bulk of the resume should include work history detailed in chronological order with no more than 7 bullet points succinctly explaining the type and scope of responsibilities they managed and accomplishments. More than two pages is generally going to be too long. Think of it as a brochure about you.” –Jack McCarthy, Senior Recruiter | CarMax

“Resumes should not be a job description only; they should include quantifiable results highlighting the value they brought to the role and organization. I also find that chronological resumes are more effective than functional. Most recruiters and hiring managers want to know the most recent and relevant skills and competencies. Functional resumes don’t provide insight into when you utilized those experiences.” –Military Recruiting Manager | Capital One

Was this article helpful?
4 out of 4 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request

0 Comments

Please sign in to leave a comment.